MTO Class EA provides a decision-making process to ensure that all relevant engineering and environmental factors are considered in the planning and design of transportation facilities. This Detailed Design and Class Environmental Assessment Study for improvements on Highway 401 from Hespeler Road to Townline Road is being undertaken as a Group ‘B’ project, which includes a significant widening of the “footprint” beyond the roadbed of an existing highway.
The Detailed Design Study will develop the Preliminary Design Plan to the implementation level of detail. Upon completion, a Design and Construction Report (DCR) will be prepared for each phase to document the following:
- The major features of the proposed work
- A full description of the project’s Detailed Design consultation program
- Identification of all project approvals, licenses and permits that have been or must be obtained
- How environmental impacts will be mitigated
- A description of how the commitments made at the end of Preliminary Design, as documented in the TESR are being fulfilled
- Contract specific design and construction information
The DCRs will be placed on the Public Record for a review period of 30 calendar days to provide the opportunity for external agencies and for the public to review and comment on the document. As this project has already met the requirements of the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act, there will be no opportunity to request a bump-up to an Individual Environmental Assessment.
The study schedule and consultation process is outlined below.
Detailed information regarding the MTO Class EA and Ontario EA Act is available via the “Links” section of this website.